If there is one thing we can be sure of it is that almost every woman will experience the ‘dreaded’ menopause, but need it really be such a negative experience?
Menopause is sometimes referred to as a woman’s ‘time of life’. It is the time where she stops having periods, usually during her late forties to early fifties. For some it can be a relatively straightforward transition but, for a very large proportion of women, it can mean a number of years of managing stress, and symptoms such as insomnia, night sweats, hot flushes, anxiety and depression. Research has shown that the higher the stress levels, the more severe her menopause symptoms are likely to be.
As Bodyworkers you have so many skills to tap into that can be of great comfort during this time. Nurturing touch, great listening skills, deep anatomical knowledge are but a few. Your hands release those all important, feel good endorphins, alleviate headaches, regulate and re-balance hormone levels. These are just a couple of examples – there are many, many more benefits. Obviously there are a significant number of different holistic treatment styles available today but the following have been highlighted as being particularly effective:
- Massage, with special attention being paid to lower back and abdomen.
- Relaxation techniques such as yoga to aid with stress.
- Aromatherapy massage. Clary sage, fennel, anise, cypress, angelica, coriander, sage and basil are all known to contain substances that are estrogen related.
- Some of the points used in foot reflexology may help with restoring hormonal balance.
- Acupressure can be used to re-balance hormones and, enhance energetic flow which can greatly reduce stress.
All in all, menopause is a, draining, emotional and physical rollercoaster and something of a force to be reckoned with. The time spent at a spa on your therapy couch, as well as aiding the everyday symptoms, can also be a time to zone out, reflect and empower the woman, giving the strength to fight on through it.
Never underestimate the power in your hands.